In TapClicks, some accounts have a feature enabled called Smart Campaigns. This is a data blending tool that enables you to group several campaigns into a single entity. This is typically used by Ad Operations teams to "roll up" multiple campaigns into one unit, making it easier to report.
It's helpful to understand the hierarchy of ad entities in order to describe where the Smart Campaign feature plays a role.
The typical hierarchy of ads is as follows:
- Ads ... these are the most granular level of advertising
- Ad Groups ... these are a entity that brings together multiple ads
- Campaigns ... these are groups of Ad Groups
- Smart Campaign (TapClicks) ... a way to group multiple campaigns
When to use Smart Campaigns
Let's use an example to illustrate the use of Smart Campaigns:
I'm a marketing agency running ads for a client as part of a holiday campaign. We have several ads running over the course of three months leading up to the holiday. During that time, my team starts and stops ads, optimizes messages, and sequences social to correspond with some automation we've setup. These ads are organized into groups and campaigns by various team members, each who run a particular channel.
The client would like to see all these various campaigns rolled up in the reporting to show the effectiveness of the campaign. In my current report, each ad group has a separate name and my report is starting to look cluttered.
To make reporting easier, I select all of the campaigns and organize them into a single Smart Campaign. Now when I report to the client, all I need to do is select or filter by the Smart Campaign in my dashboard.
How to create a Smart Campaign
- Navigate to the Data tab in the left side navigation
- Select Smart Campaigns from the sub navigation
- Click the "Create new Smart Campaign" button
- Give your Smart Campaign a name. This is what you will choose in dashboards, so make it memorable and short
- Select the Data Source
- Select the Data View
- Choose the campaigns from the list by selecting their respective checkbox.
- (option) Select the Search Pattern if relevant. This is a way to narrow the results. If you have a naming convention for your campaigns, you can use this to narrow down to just the campaigns following the search parameters you provide
- (option) Select the Dynamic List Enabled toggle. This will add new campaigns that follow the search pattern provided when they are created. Example: If you have the word "holiday" in every campaign, then all new campaigns with the word holiday in them will be added to the Smart Campaign automatically.
- Click save
How to make use of Smart Campaigns
Once you have created a Smart Campaign, you will be able to use it in Dashboard widgets. You can also filter Dashboards by Smart Campaigns to quickly isolate data for only that Smart Campaign.