What is a Margin rule?
When displaying your data in widgets, there are cases where you may want to ad a margin to numbers. A margin is an additional amount or percentage above the actual spend for a given account.
Use cases for this include when you want to obscure the actual spend for a bundled product or if you charge a service fee and want it reflected in your shared reports.
A margin rule is how you apply this percent to a given metric.
How to create a Margin Rule
- Click Administration in the left pane and click Margin rules .
- Click the plus sign + next to the Margin Rule header.
- New Margin Rule screen appears.
- Select Business Unit , Client and Data Source from the drop-down to which the Margin or Markup will be applied.
- Select Start and End Date.
- Choose which Calculation Type you would like: Margin or Markup .
- Enter the percent (%) for either Margin or Markup . Refer to the example below Margin window in case of any doubt.
- Click Save Changes .
Newly created Margin Rule will be added to the selected Data Source and Business Unit .
How Markups show up in Dashboards
- Markup/Margin is applied to Cost related metrics (Cost, CPC, Spend, etc.)
- These Margins/Markups will only be applied after a fetch of the data, so hit Update dashboard or wait for our system's daily fetch in the early morning
- In order to see the correct amount, with the margin/markup applied, make sure you have the Client Cost metrics (Client Cost, Client CPC, CLient Spend, etc.) active in your Data Profile.
- Also, make sure that the regular Cost metric is inactive
Cost Metrics in Margins
- The raw cost metrics (Cost, CPC, Spend, etc.) should be removed from the active columns within the Data Profile.
- Then new ones, such as Client Cost, Client CPC should be added to the active column.
- Please note that there are cost metrics at various points in the drill downs for the many Data Sources and if you do not want clients to see raw cost it is best to go through the various levels and remove the non-client facing metrics.
What data sources have margins added?
The following list shows all the Data Sources that you can add a margin or a markup to within the TapAnalytics dashboard. With improvements in TapClicks, keep in mind that this list may change periodically. If you want to validate a Data Source you are using, please contact your account manager.
- Bing Ads
- Centro DSP
- DoubleClick Search
- Facebook Ads
- Google Adwords
- Pinterest Ads
- Platform 161
- Sizmek Search
- YubeMogul API
- Twitter Ads
- Yahoo APT
- Yahoo Gemini