What is Assigning
Assigning in Tapclicks describes the process of associating accounts or advertisers from the various data source platforms integrated with Tapclicks with their corresponding Client Record in order to collect the data, associate it correctly with the advertiser and use that information to deliver automated Client level reporting and filtering.
This process is one of the most used areas of the product because it is critical to the collection and management of the marketing data the platform manages.
How to Automate Assigning
The Naming Convention builder and Data Source Assigning Rules together provide the tools to automate a significant amount of work to manage these assigning.
1. You must have the Automatic Assigning feature enabled through discussion with your Customer Success Manager.
2. You must have a reasonably well- followed naming convention that is used when creating advertisers and/or campaigns in the various data sources in which you would like to automate the assigning .
NOTE: The system supports multiple automatic assigning and naming convention rules and these can be configured separately for each data source if these need to be different.
3. The Automatic assigning assumes the client records are already created. It does not automatically create new client records based on assigning values. We suggest using the client import or CRM integration (i.e. Salesforce) to automatically manage the client records.
4. The automatic assigning will not un-assign existing assigning in the platform. It will add new assigning based on rule matching only.
5. We recommend this be configured in a test environment (or on a test business unit) before deploying fully. You will want to verify the assigning activity before running the automatic assigning on all Data Sources for an enterprise account. Your account manager can help with this process.
6. When assigning are processed the first assigning rule that matches will be used to effect the assigning. It is recommended that you minimize any overlap between your naming convention and auto-assigning rules wherever possible.
7. The Automatic assigning does not have an undo or preview - although in the event that many assigning need to be corrected the Bulk Assigning import or the main assigning screens/campaigns page can be used.
Please review the following guide for using the Bulk Assigning option.
8. The Automatic assigning runs automatically every night prior to TapClicks data collection and after CRM/Salesforce processing. This ensures the most recent data is assigned/collected for newly generated advertisers.
Example of Auto Assigning
You are a large media company doing ads on Trade Desk and DFP - When I create advertisers in each of those platforms you use a naming convention that includes the billing id at the beginning of the Campaign/Account Name and put a - in between so you can track it back. you want to use the Naming Convention parser and Auto-assigning to automatically assign Trade Desk and DFP advertisers to the correct records in TapClicks by matching on the billing id.
1. You will setup a Naming Convention that uses a - as the delimiter and puts the Billing Id as the first identifier and Client Name as the second
2. You will setup an Auto-assigning rule for both Trade Desk, DFP and Avanser that uses the above naming convention and matches on the Billing Id from the client record. (Avanser is used as the example). The system will then automatically assign any Avanser advertiser record that has a matching Billing Id to the Billing Id loaded into the Client Record
3. You would like to automate the assigning of these campaigns.
Google Analytics Assigning screen
Naming Convention Parser
The naming convention parser is designed to allow you to specify a naming convention that can be used to parse elements out of a assigning value (or eventually other strings in the platform) and use the element as part of the auto-assigning rules.
You will create a naming convention by clicking + and pasting in a sample of the assigning value (or campaign/advertiser name) you will be using. You will then use the bubbles below to indicate the various delimiters and TapClicks elements that are in the naming convention. You can preview the parsing by hovering over the elements in the Preview Pane and see how the platform interpreted the naming convention rule.
Once this naming convention is configured you will create the Auto-assigning rule using it to match on one of the elements defined.
The Naming Convention Builder is available in the Admin → Data Settings navigation
Click the + to create a new Naming Convention Rule
Use the following screen to develop your naming convention.
1. Paste in a sample assigning value in the Sample Text field
2. Drag the elements from the lower section into the parser to create the naming convention.
Note- until you drag in the delimiter (in this case the | ) the system will evaluate the entire string as the first element
3. Hover over each section in the preview below to see how the parser interpreted the rule. You should see the element shown in the tooltip based on how the parser interpreted the string.
Once comfortable with the way the rule is interpreted, save and this can now be used as part of the Auto-assigning process to extract the right element for auto-assigning.
Naming Convention Parsing rule
Example of different parsing rules
This rule indicates that the string before the “-” (SMC) will represent the Business Unit Id and the string between the second “-” (RIC) is the Additional Detail 1 and the remainder are plain text. A custom delimiter “of” is specified and will also break up the name further.
Example of parsing the sample text -
This example uses the same sample text but parses the first into Business Unit Id, the second & third in Plain text and then specifies the billing Id and client name.
This provides a very high level of flexibility to accommodate different naming conventions that might be used in fulfillment.
Automate the assignment of campaigns to clients based on unique identifiers in the marketing service they’re using and a field in the client record. The auto-assigning rule will configure the field element that will be used to match up the assigning value with the field on the client record. If a naming convention is also used then the naming convention will be applied first and the resulting element will be matched to the client records.
According to user research data, our partners spend an average of 310 total hours on Assignment / month. We are hoping to reduce this by about 80% over the next 6 months as we move setting our clients up with auto assignment.
List of Data Source Client Assigning Rules
This is the listing of the Auto Assigning rules - NOTE the Play button at the top will run on-demand all the auto-assigning rules - this allows you to setup their Auto-assigning and run it immediately. After which the auto-assigning will run every night prior to the fetches.
Configuring a new Auto-assigning Rule
- Title - Enter the name for this Auto-assigning rule
- Select a Data Category - Select from the list of connected data sources (Auto-connectors included)
- Select a Data Category Match Fields - Select from the assigning level
- Client Record Match Field - This is the field that will be used as the identifier
- Naming Convention - if the naming convention parser will be used select the naming convention rule
- If the naming convention parser will not be used (because we are matching perfectly on the values without any modification other than truncating) then specify whether to truncate and the number of characters necessary. --This would be used if the matching can be accomplished without doing any delimiter parsing (for instance - the match uses only the first 6 characters)
How to Bulk assign dashboards
- Note: Connect your Data Source in the dashboard and create your clients in TapClicks before you try to upload your bulk map document. If you don't connect the Data Source, you will not see it appear in the drop down. They need to exist in the dashboard before assigning.
- Navigate to the Manage Assigning link on the bottom right corner of the Manage Data Sources page and click on the link.
- Select the Data Source you want to map
- Click Download - This will provide you with an import template to use to build your import file.
- Once the file is done downloading open it on your computer.
- We recommend freezing the first three rows (the headers) and then sort or filter by unmapped advertisers, campaigns, pages, etc. This will make it easier for you to see what is unmapped.
- Add the client names to the corresponding Advertisers, Campaigns, Pages,.
- Remove any filters or sorting options you may have added to the file.
- Save or download to .csv
- Return to the dashboard
- Click Choose File to browse for the Assigning File you just saved
- Click Upload
- You will get a success or failure status. Go back to the Manage Data Sources page to double check if the assigning went through.
- Click Update your dashboard and you’re done!
1. Determine which data sources might be a good candidate for automating assigning. Review the assigning process to determine whether you are using 1 or 2-level assigning for that data source
2. Determine the naming convention - Understanding the various conventions the AdOps team uses for fulfillment will help to simplify the configuration. Review the data in the assigning (or export via Manage Assigning ) to determine how well the naming convention is being followed.
3. Identify the attribute you will be using for automatic assigning - Will it be the Billing Id, CRM Id, Company Name, or one of the Additional Details fields on the client record
4. Ensure that your client records have the appropriate value from step 3 - use the Client Import to upload these identifiers if necessary. Export Clients to check the values.
5. Use one of your assigning as sample text in the naming convention builder. Once you have the rule configured, review several examples of assigning to ensure the rule is parsing as desired
6. Setup the Automatic assigning rule based on the above information - use the play button to verify the assigning processed as expected. Use the Manage Data Sources page, select the data source, open the assigning screen and click Refresh Assigning to see the results after processing.
7. Monitor as new assigning come through that the rule and naming convention continues to be followed. Periodically have users go through and manually assigning up anything that doesn’t get caught with the automatic assigning rule using normal assigning process.